*I am fully aware that a few hours ago I said I wasn't going to post this, but I found some more time so here we are. You can call me crazy :)
Doctors notes: Make sure your back is in a neutral position, not arching up or sagging down in the middle. You want to protect your lower back area, so keep your core engaged at all times. -J. Slater, DPT
DITCH THE SODA!
I am not the only one out there that used to have a pretty serious addiction to coke and caffeine. Growing up I could drink 6 cans a day and not blink. I literally lived on the stuff and water wasn't a part of my life in any real way. This didn't matter too much when I was in high school but once I hit about 22 I noticed the more cokes, sodas and sugary beverages I drank, the more my stomach pooched right around my bellybutton, in the once spot I did NOT want it to. The biggest problem is the sugar, for the same reasons white flour is bad for us, sugar is the same. It's not natural, its bathed in chemicals and it wreaks havoc on our bodies. Writer Wade Meredith recently published the progression of 1 can of coke's effects on the body in 60 minutes---
When somebody drinks a Coke watch what happens…
- In The First 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake.) You don’t immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor allowing you to keep it down.
- 20 minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat. (There’s plenty of that at this particular moment)
- 40 minutes: Caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, as a response your livers dumps more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked preventing drowsiness.
- 45 minutes: Your body ups your dopamine production stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain. This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way.
- >60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in your lower intestine, providing a further boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium.
- >60 Minutes: The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. (It makes you have to pee.) It is now assured that you’ll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium and zinc that was headed to your bones as well as sodium, electrolyte and water.
- >60 minutes: As the rave inside of you dies down you’ll start to have a sugar crash. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You’ve also now, literally, pissed away all the water that was in the Coke. But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like even having the ability to hydrate your system or build strong bones and teeth.
So there you have it, an avalanche of destruction in a single can. Imagine drinking this day after day, week after week. Stick to water, real juice from fresh squeezed fruit, and tea without sweetener. If water is just too bland for you, you can always punch it up with sliced fruits, berries, citrus's and mint. Even cucumber tastes nice in water. Slice some stuff up, let it sit overnight and take a big camelbak or water bottle with you. CHALLENGE YOURSELF THIS WEEK TO DRINK AT LEAST 64 ounces of water EVERY DAY this week! Sub your normal sugary drinks and watch the pounds melt off. *tip: if the water is ICE COLD your body will burn an additional 400-600 calories simply warming the water in your body. Win-Win.
Healthy Dinner Recipe!
Tuna Marinara (about 380 calories per 1 cup serving)
- 1 can chunky tuna
- about 2 cups of whole wheat penne pasta
- about 2 cups of any veggies you have laying around, I used red & green pepper, onion and cucumber
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley minced
- 1 can marinara sauce of your choice (I make my own, but anything will work!)
- *parmesan optional
And finally we have the giveaway this week! Chickbands are AWESOME hair accessories for working out. Literally, your hair will NOT move when you put one of these on. I don't leave the house without one for yoga or running, they are pretty sweet! The lovely Kara behind 'chickbands' is offering 4 winners their choice of one of her bands! She offers all different styles, but the glittery ones are my favorite! the pink one I have on in the picture above goes everywhere with me! To enter, just follow the instructions below! Contest runs through 5/5/2012 and 4 winners will be chosen! Good luck!